Detailed market commentary at The Market Ticker and Ticker Classics
(The Year 2012 In Review)
Donations accepted; we offer GOLD ACCESS for enhanced privileges. T-Shirts, caps, coffee mugs? Click here.
BlogTalkRadio - Mondays at 3:30 Central - Yes, TickerGuy has a radio show (kinda)
RSS available You are not signed on; if you are a visitor please register for a free account!
|MarketTicker Forums Single Post Display (Show in context)||
User: Not logged on
|User Info||Spring Northeast Snowstorm on the Way!; entered at 2012-04-22 00:21:12|
Registered: 2010-02-11 Indiana
It's not unusual for us to get frosts or freezes here but this month early spring has everything in full bloom. Lilacs, tulips, allium. We have an ornamental cherry and a couple of other ornamental shrubs that began and finished their bloom cycles before it cooled down enough to produce some frost. Despite March, I knew what April could bring so I left my frost blankets in our beds so I didn't have to keep dragging them out. Damn how it looks right now, it's a lot more convenient.|
Boz, snow might not hurt them if it sticks as the snow can act as insulation from colder temps. Different levels of frost can cause no or varying degrees of damage. Frost can occur with temperatures above 32 degrees if the conditions are right but it won't generally cause much damage unless they're very sensitive plants or are in full bloom. Once you get below 28 for hours on end is when you get killing frosts or under around 25 degrees, freezes.
Grape farmers in SW Michigan got hit hard when we had that cold air come our way a short while back because everything was in full bloom. I think there were multiple growers with 95% crop loss, with the remaining 5% not worth taking the time to see through.